Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy Mothers' Day

I had one of those mornings last week where it was difficult being a single parent. My youngest daughter's school had a breakfast for the moms for Mother's Day. It was a really nice way to start my day (dry muffins and mushy fruit salad notwithstanding). After breakfast I had to say good-bye and that's where it got to be extremely difficult. My daughter looked at me with tears in her eyes and said "I don't want you to go. I miss you when I don't get to see you every day." Needless to say, I then got tears in my eyes as I tried to explain to her that, while I miss her when I'm not with her, I know she's having a great time with her dad and that makes me happy.

People always ask me if it is hard not seeing my children every day. The answer is simply: absolutely. But as I explain to my clients, and as I explain to my children, I would rather my kids got to see their parents as happy and living apart as opposed to tense and living together. As parents we are role models for our kids. And while every day brings challenges, one of my hopes is to raise my daughters to live the best life they can live... however that looks to them. This is one area my ex and I agree on 100%- while it is hard being a single parent, while it is hard to try to explain to your kids why their parents don't live in the same house, while it is hard not being with the girls every day, it's better to be happy and live apart than stay married and miserable.

I get asked sometimes if I like being a divorce attorney and "breaking up marriages." I don't think people understand that when people come to me and ask to get divorced, they are not asking me to break up a happy marriage- they are asking me for a chance to start over, to change the course of their lives from a path that doesn't make them happy. I love being a lawyer and I am grateful to be a divorce attorney because every day I get the chance to help people start a new chapter in their lives- one that hopefully leads them out of misery and into a better place.

Take care, Allison

Disclaimer: The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. Disregard this solicitation if you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with legal matters referred to in this solicitation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this solicitation is general and that your own situation may vary. This statement is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri.

No comments: