Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

I was in the car the other day and heard the song "Closing Time" by Semisonic and one phrase in the song struck me: "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." Could that be any more appropriate for someone facing or contemplating a divorce? It also seemed perfect for this time of year as we say goodbye to this year and look to the future and what next year will bring.

Yes, the end of a marriage can be tragically sad, but as I indicated in my previous blog, it can also be a time of great relief. When I was getting divorced I read a book by author Debbie Ford called "Spiritual Divorce: Divorce as a catalyst for an extraordinary life". At the time, and to this day, I try to look at my divorce as the closing of one book of my life; and the beginning of an entirely new one. While my divorce was an extremely difficult and painful process to go through, I am happier being single than I was in an unhappy marriage. It makes me sad that my marriage didn't work out, but I'm also grateful to not have that constant feeling of tension, anger and fear knotted in my stomach that I felt every time I walked into my house when I was in a really unhappy and unhealthy marriage. Being lonely or scared or sad as a single, divorced mom is still so much better than being married and woefully unhappy. I would rather be lonely and single than lonely and married. And so, hearing that Semisonic song reminded me that while I had hope for a great future with my husband, when that didn't work out and that beginning ended, I can still look to the future to see what's in store for me next.

I wish you all a great and prosperous new year with all its possibilities in this book of your life.

Take care, Allison


Disclaimer: The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. Disregard this solicitation if you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with legal matters referred to in this solicitation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this solicitation is general and that your own situation may vary. This statement is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri.

No comments: