Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Fall: A time for action

Fall is my favorite season. It's not just the magic of seeing the leaves turn spectacular shades of pink, yellow and orange, or the cool wind blowing through with hints of the winter to come. Fall is my time for action. I look at what is working in my life and what's not, and I figure out what I can do RIGHT NOW to change the things I can. No resolution needed, no writing off what happened this year with prayers that the next will be different; autumn gives you a chance to look at what's happened this year and still DO something about it.

I've come to realize that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. After school starts in September, I get calls from people thinking of divorcing, or modifying their prior divorce decrees. I think that's because it's not just me who looks at Fall as a time for change. I think many people take the time in the Fall to assess where their lives are headed: what's working and what's not. People think: The year's not over, so what can I do to make a difference in my life THIS YEAR? As a divorce attorney, I get calls from people who have taken stock and decided that their marriage is not what they want it to be. Maybe they talk to their spouse, or their best friend, or a therapist, or maybe they call an attorney, just to see "what happens if..."

Many of the conversations I have with people answer just that question: "what if...". They are informational conversations answering the most pressing issues for that person. What will happen to my kids? Should I stay in my house? Am I going to have to pay maintenance? Am I going to have to pay child support? These questions do not have simple answers, but most attorneys will give you a general idea as to what the possible outcomes are for you and your situation. Your attorney can advise you about what you should and should not do, what you should be aware of, what you should be on the lookout for. It's hard to pick up the phone and call with questions. It doesn't mean you're getting divorced. It doesn't mean all hope is lost. It just means you are getting answers to your questions so that, when you take stock of where your life is now and where it may be going, you are prepared. Don't be afraid to call- information can only make your mind more at ease with what's possible, and less afraid.


Take care, Allison

Disclaimer: The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. Disregard this solicitation if you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with legal matters referred to in this solicitation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this solicitation is general and that your own situation may vary. This statement is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri.

No comments: