Friday, March 6, 2009

off-gravity day- learning when you shouldn't talk to your ex

So there are just some days when you feel like you're off. I had one of those days last week- things just didn't seem to be going my way- including while I was making scrambled eggs, the spatula flew out of my hand splattering eggs all of me and my kitchen. Those are the days when you just know that your ex is going to push your buttons. Something is going to happen and things are just not going to go well. So on those days, when I feel like even gravity is not on my side, I take extra care not to respond to my ex for any reason (except an emergency of course).

I think that one of the things we (try to) learn is when we should keep our mouths shut. I will tell you, for me, that is a lesson I struggle with on a daily basis, but I know for sure that the one person I cannot engage when I am having an off-gravity day is my ex. I've tried before, and finally, after a couple of years of never having that work well, I have learned my lesson not to speak to, email or text my ex-husband. Whenever I do he could say "how are you?" and I would take it the wrong way. So instead, I remind myself that there is nothing that can't wait until tomorrow to respond to. There is nothing so urgent that I have to email him back RIGHT THIS MINUTE- it can wait a couple of hours until after I go to bed, wake up again, and have gravity working on my side again.

If you find that your ex can say things to you that will immediately make your blood pressure go up, that no matter what he or she says, you aren't going to take it well, remember that you don't have to call back right away, you don't have to return the text or email right this minute- it can all wait until gravity is back on your side.


Take care,
Allison

Disclaimer: The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. Disregard this solicitation if you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with legal matters referred to in this solicitation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this solicitation is general and that your own situation may vary. This statement is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it's great that you share your personal experience in regard to your marriage and your divorce. Makes one feel less isolated.